History of Sandy River Apple Orchard
Established in 1852, Sandy River Apple Orchard has been in the Fenton family since 1852. Frank L. Fenton with his wife Angelia bought the farm from the original settlers whom are buried in the cemetery behind the main house. In 1910 Frank’s son, William Fenton, bought the adjacient farm and began to work both farms. After sitting vacant for 30 years, William’s son Francis W. Fenton retired from the Navy and returned in 1972 to re-establish the farm and orchards. Francis along with his wife Dollie Lea brought the farm back into full production. Francis ran the orchard until his death on May 11, 2015, just two months short of his hundreth birthday. Today, Francis's daughter Carol Fenton Gilbert and husband Jim run the orchard with help from local farm-share programs. The Orchard is open weekends during apple season, generally the beginnning of September through mid-October.
The farms 200+ year-old barn was restored in 2012. Click here to visit the barn restoration blog.
|Open 8am to 6pm, weekends in September through mid-October|